Mid Atlantic Conference Ruggers,
It has been an honor and quite an experience to lead the Mid-Atlantic Conference Competitions Committee. As I step forward in leading the National Competitions Committee, I am happy to announce that Kathryn Hemlock has been elected by the current Committee to serve in the MAC Chairperson role going forward. We are planning the transition between the two of us, and my last order of official business will be overseeing the process of our 2018 playoff location. For all other matters going forward, you are encouraged to work through your coordinator, as always. I know that I leave you in good hands with her and the group that continues to serve Club Rugby in the Mid Atlantic.
Margy Dessypris Thomas
From Richard Every at USAR (9/8/17, 1135; this is an excerpt since we’ve all seen the video and know the new law):
If a player has to step with one leg over the ball, they would be a prone target to be cleared out.
AT THIS TIME, in the USA, WE WILL DO THE FOLLOWING, until further clarification:
If, at a tackle, a player on their feet positions themselves over the ball, a ruck is formed. That means, your body has to be over the ball. It should be in a controlled manner, and both legs can still be on your side of the ball and they may grasp their player that is on the ground. Try not to over-complicate it.
If that player then decides to play the ball, they have to step back so they are no longer over the ball, then play the ball coming through the gate.
If, after they have formed the ruck, they pick up the ball in that ruck-forming position, it is a PK against them for hands in.
The list of MAC clubs are noted here as having attained CIPP compliance, In progress, or noted as not yet registered. This list was updated on 9/6. Next set of updates to be made on 9/8.
- You must have 15 players, a level 200 coach, and have paid for club-level registration.
- If you meet these requirements, there may be a background screening or batch processing that will update the database by the next day.
- If your club is listed as Not Yet Registered, it means a record of your club does not yet appear in the public roster for the 2017-2018 year.
You must be CIPP compliant, or you will forfeit your first match and you will not be able to use CMS properly.
Congratulations to the Mid Atlantic Conference 7s champions who will continue to the National Sevens Championships on August 12 in Blaine MN. Information is here: http://www.usaclub7s.com/
Information Packets are due: https://www.usarugby.org/ncs/club/
Men – Beltway Elite and Schuylkill River (MAC has the 9th and 14th seeds overall)
Women – Scion, NOVA, and Philadelphia. (MAC has the 1st, 6th, and 8th seeds overall)
Best of luck to all of our MAC clubs.
The following final schedules for each division:
D1 Men, including D1B
D2 Men North
D2 Men South
D3 Men North
D3 Men Central
D3 Men South
Women – D1, D2, D3
Note: Clubs are allowed to make modifications to their schedules but must coordinate with the other teams and inform their coordinator of any changes. These schedules will be loaded into CMS in August before season KO. It is up to YOU! to ensure that your coordinator posts any changes made by your club.
Our past two playoff weekends yielded the following seeds to the National Competition. On May 20-21st, these teams will meet in Pittsburgh, PA to compete with the North Atlantic, Mid-West and South seeds.
Men’s D1 – Rocky Gorge
Women’s D1 – NOVA Women
Men’s D2 – Washington Irish
Women’s D2 – Harrisburg Women
Men’s D3 – Lehigh Valley
Women’s D3 – Chesapeake Women
There’s still continued discussion on the repechage match (on May 13th) for Women’s D1. Our #2 seed, Raleigh Venom might meet Detroit from the Mid-West for a chance to continue on to the CR playoffs. Raleigh already defeated Detroit 72-5 as part of the Gold Cup.
Now the planning for 2017-2018 begins. Discussions for division alignment, promotion relegation, and new club considerations have already been in process. Please make sure your coordinators have the most up to date information!
MAC Playoff Teams: Congrats! You’ve made it this far. Read on for important details for the next couple of weekends:
1) CMS has been loaded with the matches for Saturday April 29th. (Men’s and Women’s) For matches that take place on Sunday April 30th, there will be updates based on Saturday’s results – specifically for the women’s events. CMS matches for playoffs will be locked on Mondays. Rosters for Sunday will need to be loaded by 10am on Sunday morning.
2) For the Women’s MAC Championships this coming weekend and for the Men’s Championship next weekend:
All players must bring an ID, driver’s license and/or Passports to verify identification as part of the check-in procedures. NO ID, NO RUGBY.
3) All teams are required to go through ID Check for the MAC Championships. Check-in will take place from 9:30 to 12:30 pm on Saturday and on an as needed basis beyond that time, in between matches. (If you need time outside of this window you must give me advance notice.) This is applicable to both the Women’s and Men’s events as all KO times on Saturday are 11, 1, and 3 pm.
Teams are encouraged to check-in before warming up. Please plan on about 20-30 minutes for everyone to grab their ID and to meet me for check-in. I will have CIPP rosters with me, reviewed for eligibility on each player. Each club needs to prepare their rosters in CMS and bring a copy to turn in as part of Check-in.
- Any player that is CIPP’d after April 1 is not eligible.
- For clubs that have multiple sides – Any player that has met the 50% criteria of playing with the higher side/division will not be eligible to play in the lower division.
- Any player that is not able to show proof of identification is not eligible to play.
- Consider this practice, should you advance to the May 20/21st Competitive Region playoffs.I understand the check-in procedures are similar.
Please make sure you understand who is eligible and who is not. I hate having to tell someone they can’t play and for that to be a surprise. It sucks even more for your player who thinks they are going to play to find out they won’t.
If you have questions on this, let me know in advance. You can verify eligibility through CIPP and CMS together.
The MAC Sevens Committee has worked with the following clubs to confirm these locations for the MAC 2017 7s Qualifiers:
June 24 – Northern Virginia
July 8 – Richmond Lions
July 15 – Wilmington
July 22 – Schuylkill River
will be made available soon.. Updated MAC Regulations/Guidelines will be posted as soon as they are finalized.
Spring season is about to get underway this coming week. As you all prepare, here’s information about playoffs:
Men’s 2017 Playoff Information
Women’s 2017 Playoff Information
Event Information – Pitch/Hotel/Location Packet Info (To be updated closer to the event date)
1 – Everyone is to be CIPP’d. CIPP registration deadline is April 1 2017.
2 – All clubs are to update CMS with match reports not later than Tuesday after the match. Matches are locked on Wednesday. Do not forget to report player substitutions for players 16-23, or they will not receive credit towards eligibility.
3 – You are responsible for coordinating/communicating with your local referee society regarding match KO details. The referees do not use the CMS system. Each society has their own allocations system. Check it.