2021 MAC 7s Events and USAR Info


The Mid Atlantic 7s series will host qualifiers on the following dates.

7/10 NOVA – Manassas, VA

7/17 East Coast 7s – Downingtown, PA

7/24 Rites of Summer – Columbia, MD

Policies and Procedures for this summer’s series will be announced by the MAC 7s Committee.

Host teams will announce details of their events.


For clubs interested in playing in the National 7s Club Championship, see below.

[Edited message follows.]

From Howard Kent USA Rugby Club 7s Commissioner:

2021 National 7s Team Enrollment Form

Interested teams must complete the 2021 National 7s Team Enrollment Form by June 24 and pay an entry fee by July 1. See: https://forms.gle/7gNCSFxHY4kWPBLp7

Expanded Opportunity – Alert your Teams

Our premise is to encourage participation by expanding the number of teams that play in the 7s National Championship using an Open / Invitational concept. All teams that preregister for the 7s National Competition and make the effort to play in qualifying 7s tournaments are in the pathway for entry in the 7s National Championship event. The top teams each for Men & Women would play in an upper tier competition at Nationals for the Signes Cup. The remaining teams that preregister for the 7s National Competition and qualify would play in a lower tier for the Silver Cup. Over time this model should improve the quality on competition and depth of participation.

2021 National 7s Miscellaneous Items

Pre-qualified teams will be announced June 24. July 1st is the cutoff date for confirming intent to qualify for Nationals.

As this event is unbudgeted by USA Rugby and the Senior Club Council, the Host is picking up all venue costs and competition costs shall be shouldered by an entry fee. The entry fee is expected to be between $650 -$850 (still TBD). We anticipate that if a team withdraws prior to July 1 they will receive a 50% refund and withdrawing later than that there will be NO refund.

Payment types accepted for the fee are Credit card and Debit Card only. NO Cash, NO Cheques.

2021 National 7s Multiple teams from one Club

Clubs may qualify for the Signes Cup and also another team in the Silver Cup if they do not wish to try to qualify two teams for the top tier and NOT have to split their roster for the season, per Section 5, 5.1f.

Link: https://assets.usarugby.org/docs/club/2021-Senior-Club-Regulations.pdf
USA Rugby Player Eligibility Rules—Sevens Rules are Section 5 which is on Page 5

National 7s Location
Aug 14 & 15, 2021
Hosts: Seattle (more info from the hosts soon- do NOT contact them now!)
Venue: Starfire Sports
14800 Starfire Way
Tukwila, WA 98188
206.431.3232
https://www.starfiresports.com/

Team & Player CIPP

All teams must be registered with USA Rugby and all players must be CIPP to that team.

A Club must be registered and In Good Standing with USA Rugby and the Approved Governing Body by June 15.

A Player must be Registered to the Club and residing in the United States, through initial enrollment or transfer, prior to the earlier of (i) playing in any Qualifying Tournament or, (ii) July 1.

Sevens Chair – Men’s Teams: Howard Kent | info@denversevensrugby.com

Sevens Chair – Women’s Teams: Joanne Liu | joanneliu22@gmail.com

Spring 2021

In areas where play is allowed, clubs may schedule their own matches (“friendlies”) but there will be no league matches or schedules. MAC 15s scheduling work is planned to resume in mid-May for the Fall. The MAC 7s Committee will be looking at the options as we approach summer.

Further update on Fall 2020

About a month or two ago, we indicated that if we couldn’t play by 09/15/2020 the MAC season would be officially postponed…and it is. This isn’t a surprise to anyone, though.

As soon as we can begin a return to full contact practice and play WITH approval from Capital and the EPRU, the MAC reps will re-configure the schedules for – we hope – Spring 2021.

[Most of the leagues are specific to one GU, with the exception of D1M and D1W. However, there are also inter-state and intra-state issues that must considered before Capital and the EPRU can allow play.]

Update on Fall 2020

This is ONLY applicable for MAC play and NOT for friendlies (regional 15s, 7s, Touch):

  • Any play/practice (MAC or friendly) is pending GU sanctioning a return to play
  • MAC league play is postponed until further notice
    • No league matches in September
  • MAC, Capital, and EPRU will reevaluate on September 15 for October play
  • Registration is not required until practices begin
  • If play is opened up, we will have a three-week buffer for practices before games begin
  • If a decision cannot be made on September 15, the Fall Season will be cancelled
  • Conferences MAY cancel now and postpone until March

COVID-19 Status

We are still under a suspension of play status. Both the Capital Rugby Union and the EPRU are not allowing game play – based on the various state guidelines – under further notice.

The coordinators are preparing schedules to begin play at some point. However, keep in mind that there will need to be a 3-week period of practice before games start.

USAR Statement on 7s Play

USAR statement saying that the 2020 National 7s Championship will be cancelled (link).

The MAC 7s Committee is under discussion about a possible event or events. It is still too soon to see what clubs across the region (VA, DC, MD, PA) may be able to do. There may be other non-MAC events, but those are under the purview of the GUs or other groups.

However, USAR added (in their draft) the following: “Moving forward, as the sevens rugby season gets underway, teams and clubs are permitted to engage in local sevens activities in line with permission of local health officials and guided by the USA Rugby Return To Play Guidelines. While potential versions of play might be acceptable through the summer, no sanctioned national championship will occur.”

The key here is “…teams and clubs are permitted to engage in local sevens activities in line with permission of local health officials and guided by the USA Rugby Return to Play Guidelines.” Therefore, you must comply with both local guidelines and the specifics of USAR’s Return to Play. There are a lot of things to do in the latter, so read it.

Additionally, keep in mind that local health officials will follow their governor’s orders and others. Additionally, local parks and recs folks may opt for tighter restrictions and reservations may not be possible.

As an example: Virginia will be mostly moving to Phase 2 on Friday (with the notable exception of Richmond and Northern Virginia who will remain in Phase 1 for a bit longer). This will now allow gatherings of up to 50. BUT… that does not clear you from following USAR’s Return to Play Guidelines (as well as getting field permits).

Therefore, let’s be clear: As mentioned at some point in the last month, we are NOT going to tell you not to practice or play. However, you must comply with the above (as stated by USAR) AND can show proof of compliance (forms, etc.), you don’t have USAR liability coverage. No coverage. Zero.

The bottom line: if you choose to go practice and play, assign responsible people in your club to track all of the needed items (like player verifications).

MAC Committee Update (05/14/2020)

The MAC Committee met tand discussed both 7s and 15s.


7s

As most of you know, USAR will announce something around June 1. IF we get an “all clear” by USAR, we still have a number of other bodies that must do similarly: the states, the localities, and local Parks and Rec (to re-open fields to contact sports). Assuming 7s can start, there will likely be a compressed schedule of 1 or 2 MAC events (and there might be other local events, of course).


15s

Teams will be contacted over the next week about Fall scheduling.

The draft schedules should be completed by your coordinator by June 15, checked with that division’s teams, and set by June 30.

Although we will use the tacit assumption of starting as normal, we STILL may have the re-opening issue that we have with 7s. We need to allow for maximum flexibility if (a) we can’t start on time OR (b) play gets held up AFTER we’ve started because of a second (or third) virus wave. Flexibility means sliding weekends if suspension of play happens. We also must consider a few (2-3) weeks of pre-season practice. Thus, we will ask that no “bye” weekends be requested unless there is no option; each division may reserve a weekend or two for everyone in that division (as both a bye weekend and a makeup slot).

We WILL plan on MAC Championships – for the divisions that play semis and a final – on May 1, 2021.

We do NOT know about USAR Championships yet; the new USAR bylaws and structure were just approved last weekend (Sat, May 9) and the new USAR Senior Club Community group will be reforming the Competitions Committee. There are other discussions going on to try to get playoff rounds closer (regionally) but all of this will take a while to work out… as well as a change in the Competitions software for rosters and match reporting. This will be a busy summer.

COVID-19 Statement UPDATE (03/20/2020)

UPDATE (03/20/2020)

From USAR, “All sanctioned competition and rugby activities are suspended for the foreseeable future, effective March 20, 2020. Members and clubs are asked to refrain from match play, training or team gatherings during this period. Accident and Liability insurance will not be valid during the above window of time. Information on when rugby activities will be able to resume will be communicated by USA Rugby.”

https://www.usa.rugby/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-status-and-updates-usa-rugby/

UPDATE (03/13/2020)

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be suspending all MAC matches for the next few weeks. On Monday, April 13, we will provide an update on the status of match play.

We do not know what this means yet for our conference games, the MAC playoffs, or the National Championships. This depends on local, regional, and national issues.

If you have matches scheduled for the next few weeks, please let your referees know.


Original (03/11/2020).

MAC and Capital had its first query on Tuesday regarding COVID-19 and whether there were currently any plans to alter the Spring rugby season. As most of you know, games have been played throughout the country in the last few weeks (including the west coast, Savannah, Frontier region, etc.).

For the near future, games will go on until state and/or local government authorities declare a shutdown of facilities or movement.

We have not received anything substantive from the USAR National Office on this issue, although the National Competitions Committee is considering a procedure. However, any policy is likely to be regionally based.

Players should not put others at risk (clearly) if they are ill, and clubs should recognize any issues they have.

Keep in mind that makeup games may or may not be possible for some brackets due to the crowded schedule. There is no information if the National Championships will be changed to allow for changes in the schedules. If there are MAC match cancellations, Easter Weekend (Saturday) will need to be in play for makeups, if necessary. If a match is canceled, we will likely record them as 0-0 cancellations until things are sorted out. Finally, the May 2nd MAC Championship event is still too far out to speculate on its status.

USAR 15s Playoffs for Spring 2020

The USAR 15s Eastern playoffs:
Saturday/Sunday, May 16-17 (quarters/semis for most; semis only for some, like D1M)
Location: Temple U. (Ambler Field)

The USAR 15s National Championships:
Sunday, May 31 (one game championship for all divisions)
(Sunday event due to venue availability)
Location: Charlotte, NC